Students Job Seekers

Can Students Get Job Seekers Allowance Over Summer?

following activities

Jobseeker’s allowance might be a great way to make ends meet while you’re looking for a summer job – until you realize that a full-time student is not entitled to the support allowance, that is. But here’s the thing:

There are some exceptions to the rule – and a few other ways you could get some cash until you land a summer job.  There are some great platforms in addition to Service Club such as Jooble which is useful if you are a student looking to find a job

To find out how to claim income-related benefits as full-time students, continue scrolling!

Can A Full-Time Student Claim Jobseeker’s Allowance?

Claim ESA

Well, to start – no. The full-time students are commonly not granted the support allowance because they can find full-time work during the summer, and that’s considered enough of a reason to prevent them from claiming an income-based benefit.

For example, if your student income is already high, such as student loans or grants, you might not be able to apply for student finance.

For all further questions regarding the housing benefit or tax credits for financial support, you should contact a local Benefits Office and discuss your personal circumstances and income-related issues with them.

There are several exceptions where students receiving full-time education can claim benefits such as employment and support allowance while actively seeking work. For example, a lone parent can claim income support, and so do partners of another student if one (or both) is responsible for a child.

delivery driver jobs registration

Do note that parents can also apply for child tax benefits – which could improve your student finance situation, as well. And on top of the child benefit, if your partner isn’t a student but can get some kind of employment and support allowance, they could claim it on your behalf.

Above all else, you will need to actively seek work or have enough National Insurance Contributions to apply. Furthermore, you can also apply for the benefits if you took some time off university (or college) to care for someone and have received the carer’s allowance for that period.

Another case where full-time students are qualified for income support is when they are living with a disability. These students have to be qualified for some kind of disability premium – such as the severe disability premium – to get the disability living allowance or income-related employment, though.

For part-time students, the situation is a little different. It depends on the individual circumstances, such as the level of higher education, the living costs, and whether they fall under the low-income line.

However, the benefits are generally fewer than for those studying full time.

Part-time students must be working under 16 hours a week, or not at all. They must be able to work, do a job interview and fill out work-related requirements – meaning they must be below the official age of retirement.

How To Determine Level Of Income?

The level of income does not apply for receiving Universal Credit, but it does apply for the allowance. The following benefits count as income:

  • Bursaries – for students on a course from 2006 or later, including higher education bursary
  • Personal independence payment used to assist with the living costs
  • Student loans and maintenance grants
  • Dependants’ grant

On the other hand, some benefits do not count as income, such as:

  • Tuition fee loans
  • Grants for special support
  • Payment for the learning fund, used for other student-related costs
  • Childcare payment.

Eligibility For Other Benefits

Last Payment

Getting the jobseekers’ allowance is not easy for full-time students – but you may still be able to claim some other type of benefits for the summer months.

It’s not easy to work during the academic year, but finding a flexible job for the summer might be what you’re looking for here. And the jobs listed on Service Club offer you the benefit of choosing your hours and days of the week – which means no clashing between your school and work schedules.

With that out of the way, let’s check out some other income-related employment benefits you could be eligible for right now!

Universal Credit

Claiming Universal Credit is typically reserved for part-time students.

As for those who study full-time, they can’t claim Universal Credit unless they meet some additional requirements. On that note, you could qualify for Universal Credit as a full-time student if:

  • You are a partner of someone eligible for Universal Credit
  • You are responsible for a child
  • You are a partner of someone caring for a child
  • You cannot apply for pension credit, but your partner is still eligible
  • You are under 21 years of age and don’t receive any kind of parental support
  • You have been assessed as someone with limited capability, and you receive a personal independence payment, attendance allowance, Armed Forces independence payment, or disability living allowance

Housing Benefit

Due to the UK Government’s changes to income-based benefits and the transfer to the Universal Credit model, students can no longer make a new claim to the so-called “legacy benefits,” including Housing Benefits or Rate Relief.

If you already receive the Housing Benefit on top of your student finance to pay rent, you can still claim them – but contact the Welfare Office for more information.

If you’re currently receiving housing benefits for your term-time accommodation and you’re away for the summer holidays, you won’t be able to claim this benefit during your summer vacation. Even more so, it’s vital to note that any change in your circumstances could trigger an automatic Universal Credit transfer.

Claim Jobseeker’s Allowance – Bottom Line

New Style JSA

Typically, full-time students cannot apply for the jobseeker’s allowance, and claiming Universal Credit isn’t an option, either. However, there are certain exceptions where you could claim the employment and support allowance – if you’re a lone parent, among other things.

Check with the local office to see if you can make a new claim during your course of education – such as student loans, tax credits, or child tax credits. Having benefits can make your student life easier and your academic year a little less stressful.

In the meantime, you can join Service Club today and start working as a delivery driver! Register today – it’s simple to get started, you can earn quite a bit, and there’s the added benefit of a flexible schedule, meaning you set your hours during the week!

delivery driver jobs registration

Please Install Theme Required & Recommended PLugins.